WELCOME!

The subjects on this blog are mainly political and theological, but your ideas on other topics are welcome. My hope is that we can dialog honestly even if we disagree.. There are some previous posts on this blog. I will be responsible for them even though I may no longer fully support them.

Welcome again!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Joining the Tea-Baggers, Radically

Perhaps my taste has changed; perhaps I have grown tired of the failed promises, but whatever the reason, I have given up on the mainline and gone for a radical solution.

No more coffee for me.  After months of hopes raised by slick, colored tin-foil packaging, of smelling the delicious aroma of coffee--only to be disappointed by the brewed result, coffee is gone from my daily diet.

I have tried at least  ten different highly-recommended brands with poor results.  Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Folgers, imported Rowandan  coffee, Cafe Ole, Sensco, Eight O'Clock, Maxwell House, name it, I've tried it.   I have bought a new coffee pot, tried three older ones with poor results.  I have ground coffee beans, thinking that might render my sought-for pleasure.  Nada. Nada. Nada.

The only satisfying cup of coffee I have found is at McDonalds--and I'm not going to drive thru there five times a day to fix my caffeine level.

Starbucks was a tremendous let-down.  The mecca of good coffee seekers, so I thought.  I tried, but, I don't want a coffee milkshake, just a plain cup of black coffee.  When I asked for that, what they gave me was strong enough to clog my esophagus.  I can only assume the appeal of that place is to adolescent desires for candied coffee.

Hello tea.  For some reason, unexplained to me, I can taste hot, freshly-brewed tea.  It has a pleasant flavor, and I get a smug affirmation of my distant English roots.

Brewing tea seems so elementary and so idiosyncratic.  You can steep your cup to your precise taste. 



A covenant forms between you and your little bag of tea.  A bonding is fused:  "treat me kindly and I will deliver just the taste for which you thirst."  The only pain associated with the process is the discarding of the bag, after the steeping is done. [I wonder if you can get a quality taste by using the tea bag more than once?]

Earl Grey is the tea of choice for the moment; but, I have only been on this kick for a couple of weeks.  I am willing to experiment around with other flavors.  In the meantime you may call me a "tea-bagger", in the radical sense of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment